You know what’s awesome? Lupus. You know why? Because one of the awesome symptoms/side effects/by products of an immune system under attack is a sensitivity to sunlight. A sensitivity that develops into an allergy. To sunlight. WHY?????
I swear, sometimes I wonder if I was a total douchebag in my last life to have deserved such a stupid illness.
So here’s what happens when I spend unprotected/too much time in the sunlight:
- Swollen eyes
- Swollen hands
- Swollen everything
- Arms that weigh a gazillion lbs.
- White spots on my arms (not the sexy kind)
- Red patches on my eyelids, nose, cheeks
- General heaviness. Not the normal everyday fat booty heaviness, but an “I can’t even lift my head up off the dining room table heaviness.”
Thanks to my beautiful fellow spoonies on Twitter and IRL, I came up with a solid plan of protection for my trip to Southern California:
1) Sunhat. I would suggest a wider brim, but you get the picture.
2) Neutrogena Ultimate Sport Sunblock Spray SPF 100+ (Thanks to @macoholic)
3) Neutrogena Age Shield Face Sunblock Lotion SPF 110 (Thanks to @macoholic).
5) Two Ibuprofen 200 mg pre-sun to help with any inflammation.
6) Lots and lots of Gatorade or some other electrolyte drink + water.
Disclaimer to any new spoonies out there: These may or may not work for you, but I tested these things on both Saturday (for a few hours at the beach) and Sunday (for an hour at the pool). I’m happy to report I did NOT melt into a pool of sludge and I’m still happy I’m here.
See…the afternoon at the beach was totally worth it. Look how happy they are!
#16 was totally stressed out about my being in the sun another afternoon. But I did it. I’m all about the “Yay!”
Note: This post contains affiliate links.